Antipoems: New and Selected by Nicanor Parra




Anti-poet Nicanor Parra from Chile (1914-2018)

New Directions has gathered over 100 anti-poems from previously published collections in this bilingual edition. I've recently fallen in love with the work of Nicanor Parra. To share a taste of what a reader is in store for, below are five anit-poems from the collection along with my brief, brief comments.

ROLLER COASTER
For half a century
Poetry was the paradise
Of the solemn fool.
Until I came along
And built my roller coaster.

Go up, if you feel like it.
It's not my fault if you come down
Bleeding from your nose and mouth.

-------------- Serves as a warning: anti-poetry might be dangerous to one's health.



INFLATION
Bread goes up so bread goes up again
Rents go up
This brings an instant doubling of all rents
The cost of clothing goes up
So the cost of clothing goes up again.
There's no way out
We're caught in a vicious circle.
In the cage there is food.
Not much, but there is food.
Outside are only great stretches of freedom.

-------------- Obviously Nicanor wasn't impressed with the economists' theory of market conditions when people in his country were starving. One needs enough bread to write anti-poetry but . . . .



I DON'T BELIEVE IN THE PEACEFUL WAY
I don't believe in the violent way
I'd like to believe
in something--but I don't
to believe means to believe in God
all I can do is
shrug my shoulders
forgive me for being blunt
I don't even believe in the Milky Way.

-------------- The anti-poet's spot-on view of the anti-cosmos.



IF i WERE PRESIDENT OF CHILE
I'd really make head roll
I'd start by declaring war on Bolivia
and then I'd blow my brains out.

------------- Probably a good thing Nicanor Parra stuck with poetry rather than going into politics.



DEAR STUDENTS
Farewell dear students
now's the time to protect the last black ring-necked swans
still alive in this country

kicks
blows
whatever it takes:
poetry will thank us in the end

another revolutionary measure:
forgive all crimes of love

sexual amnesty
love love love and more love
and please don't form couples:

pairing off only spells Defeat

Good News!
in a million years the earth
will be whole again
We'll be the ones long gone

----------- Thanks for the good news, Nicanor!

Comments