The Goddess of Amsterdam by Glenn Russell




Everybody with an open mind and heart will have their own story of their visit to the beautiful, vibrant city of Amsterdam.  I'd like to add mine to the collection, one that's - believe it or not - a true story.  Here goes:     

 Some time back, I considered writing a novel. Then, as if in a dream, a miraculous happening: a radiant  goddess spoke to me in Amsterdam. She told me exactly what my novel should be: Chapter One: Recount my meeting with her on a bridge in Amsterdam.  The remainder of the novel, so spoke the goddess, should be 101 chapters, each chapter consisting of a book review I've written with passion and enthusiasm, a book review extolling the depth and beauty of literature, the magnificence and excitement of literature . That's it, no more, no less. She told me to call my novel: The Goddess of Amsterdam.

Pondering this advice, I wonder how such a "novel" will be received. Surely among the most original formats . . . but I suspect I'll hear the refrain: "You can't do that and call it a novel!"

Comments