Moderan by David R. Bunch - Head Thumping the Troops




HEAD THUMPING THE TROOPS

First order of business once Moderan Man is in his Stronghold 10 in his role of leader over his underling robots: a pep talk worthy of a drill sergeant. And what is the theme of this pep talk? Predictably, duty to the mission and obedience to him as leader is all. Anything less, even a shred of anything less will spell a super-zap for the culprit and that less-than-loyal, less-than-honorable piece of nothing will be no more.

Here's an excerpt from Moderan man's speech: "I'll ask my Corps of Engineers to install some of the most sophisticated snoop gear in the history of mankind. I'll have them install signals and graphs and all kinds of metering devices. And as a fair little warning to you, let me say, and let it not be misunderstood, that I have never in all my life been fooled in my own personal estimate of an individual, his potential, his behavior, his overall utilization of self. Not that I'll need it, but I'll tell you ahead of time what I'm having put in to verify to all what I will know already. It will be called the 'Beep for Record' plan. When any man ANY MAN! is remiss in any one of the many categories in which a man can be remiss, throughout all this great new Stronghold a giant BEEP will sound, alerting all."

Perfect - total technological surveillance to the rescue! Anticipates 21st century techniques to keep all the troops in line. Nothing can be said or done privately; all is made known instantly to Moderan man. Not one tiny atom is outside of his control and domination. The dream of all true leaders who rule with an iron fist. Go get 'em, Moderan man!

Comments