Suitcase by Barry Yourgrau





Barry Yourgrau's story speaks to our experience of being violated or suffering injustice at the hands of rude, disgusting people. How many rude people have your encountered in public places? For myself, more than my share.

One Barry quote and a couple of my short comments capsulize this tale of rudeness and violation:

SUITCASE
"I'm on an old fashion train. I doze off to the gentle sway of the wheels. I wake up. I blink. Then I sit bolt upright. My suitcase is missing."

Turns out, the conductor took Barry's suitcase since Barry was asleep. He goes ahead and opens it out in a field while the other passengers watch.

Barry runs out and shouts at the conductor but receives little explanation and absolutely no apology. Barry returns to the cabin with his suitcase.

Sorry to say, the world is chock-full of such conductors.  

Comments