Funes the Memorious by Jorge Luis Borges

 


Funes the Memorious - a tale of one man's accident (head injury falling from a horse), resulting in a dramatic transformation of his perceptions and memory - Funes can remember absolutely everything with astonishing clarity, each moment of his entire past life in exquisite detail, not only seeing in his mind's eye every leaf of every tree but each and every time he imagined a leaf or a tree.

Think about it - what makes you you? Philosophers throughout history have devoted much of their thinking to the nature of personal identity. One key element philosophers (and also psychologists) return to again and again: memory.

Ah, memory - how much of you would be left if you woke up one day without your memory, that is, an inability to remember even one detail of your past life? Or, at the opposite end of the spectrum, how much of you would be remain if you woke up with the supercharged memory of Funes?

Paralyzed from the neck down, Funes now spends his life in his bed, passing the time with such things as recollecting a day of his childhood. Of course, with his laser sharp memory, it takes Funes an entire day to call to mind all the minutiae of that day.

Funes also teaches himself foreign languages. "With no effort, he had learned English, French, Portuguese and Latin." The narrator, a man resembling Borges himself, goes on: "I suspect, however, that he was not very capable of thought. To think is to forget differences, generalize, make abstractions. in the teeming world of Funes, there were only details, almost immediate in their presence."

Reflecting on the Funes' gift regarding language, a person aside, if I may. I have a specific dyslexia in learning any foreign language - try as I might, I can not retain in my memory words or phrases from a language other than English. Thus I'm locked into being monolingual. Drat! If I only had a fraction of Funes' ability to instantly learn a foreign language.

But there's an upside: I'm compensated by my capacity to remember the content of the books I've read (especially short stories and novels) stretching back over the past fifty years as if I read those books last week, an ability that comes in mighty handy for a book reviewer.

So, what if I was given a choice: gain a special ability to learn foreign languages but lose the facility to remember the books I've read or will read; in other words, in one ear and out the other?

I keep this choice in mind whenever I reread Funes the Memorious.

Online link to Borges' tale: http://vigeland.caltech.edu/ist4/lect...

Comments